The Dancing House
On the site of the present-day Dancing House stood an apartment house, which in 1945 was accidentally destroyed by an American bomb strike in the air bombing of Prague. It was decided to build a gap site in 1963, but nothing happened until the 1990s. In the early 1990s, Vlado Milunić, together with Václav Havel, who resided in a neighbouring house, came back to the idea of building here. The original idea included creating a house with a library, a theatre and a café, which would be part of the cultural belt from the Rudolfinum to the National Theatre to Mánes, but no investor was found for the project. Already in the first sketches, Milunić counted that the building should leap over the intersection, symbolizing the state of the Czecho slovak society that had moved from totalitarian rigidity and the vision of a static tower at the rear with a dynamic front. The offer was accepted by architect Frank Gehry. The Dancing House (otherwise also Ginger and Fred) was completed in 1996, with interiors partly designed by Eva Jiřičná. The building, which is the first Prague post-revolutionary building of world architects, unleashed a lively debate among the professional and the lay public.