The square is located on the former tower moat between Old and New T own, in the area of the King’s Court which became the seat of the Czech kings in the years 1 383-1484. Large spaces near the medieval core of the city prompted the construction of many important buildings in the turn of 19th and 20th century, including Obecní dům (Municipal House)or kasárna Jiřího z Poděbrad (military barracks of George of Poděbrady). Up to 1916, the square was called Josefské, according to the church st. Josef, then it was r enamed Kapucínské, according to the Capuchin monastery, later becoming Franz Joseph square. The square obtained its current name (Republic Square) in 1919, following the establishment of Czechoslovakia. During the era of protectorate Prague, the square was called Hybernské (since 1940), the current name returned in 1945.