Masaryk Square is the central square in Ostrava. The dominant feature is the Marian column in the southern part, the statue of St. Florian fr om the 18th century in the northern part and a tile water installation from 2007 designed by studio RAW. Markets were formerly held in the square, which was the centre of social events, and is still the oldest gathering place in Ostrava. It was lined with low arcade houses and gradually evolved into a dynamic city centre. In the southern corner of the square there is the old town hall building, which has been the seat of the Ostrava Museum since 1931. Key events recalling the milestones in the history of the city are embedded in the pavement of the square.