The castle on the rock in Vyšehrad was founded in the second half of the 10th century. At the end of the 11th century, the first Czech king Vratislav II settled here, where he founded the Church of St. Peter and Paul and built a chapterhouse on it. It served as the seat of rulers until 1140, when Prince Soběslav ruled. From the 15th to the 19th century , Vyšehrad and its outer bailey was a self - governing town, and it was incorporated into Prague in 1883. In 1904, a tunnel was put through
Vyšehrad rock that joined the right bank of the Vltava River to the south ern environs of Prague. The rock is 42 meters high and falls directly into the Vltava River, which is the deepest part in entire territory of Prague. Vyšehrad acquired the present form in the second half of the 19th century. The Baroque, originally Gothic, St. Peter and Paul Church was rebuilt into a neo-Gothic style with Art Nouveau decorations inside. Next to it was a cemetery with the tomb of Slavín, which is the last resting place of important Czech personalities. The place is connected with many legends such as Princess Libuše, The Maidens‘ War, Bivoj, Horymír and Šemík etc.