The main square in Broumov used to be the place for the daily, weekly or annual markets in its eastern half (the modern-day Housewares and Jewellers), along with all public meetings, some church celebrations, theatre performances, shows by the city guards and political demonstrations and celebrations of public holidays from the 19th century. The original wooden houses around the square were rebuilt from stone after a fire in the middle of the 16th century, with a number of them having medieval cellars, ground floors with arched halls, so-called “Maashauses” and stairs on stone columns. In the 18th century, the facades of the houses were changed into the Empire style; later this unified style was interrupted by rebuilding and extending other floors. The Abbot Zink Marian column was built in the middle of the square in 1706. The sculptural decorations were carried out by the workshop of Jan Brokof, a sculptor from Prague. The double sculpture on the top of a twisted column is a replica of the Gothic Madonna from the monastery church, a Baroque veneration of the patron saint of the city.